Integrate the SDK
1 Set up the development environment
Before integrating the ZEGO Express SDK, make sure the development environment meets the following requirements:
- Xcode 12.0 or later
- An iOS device or iOS Simulator that is running on iOS 9.0 or later and supports audio and video. We recommend you use a real device.
- The iOS device is connected to the internet.
2 Integrate the SDK
2.1 Optional: Create a new project
Skip this step if a project already exists.
Create a new project
- Open Xcode, and in the Welcome to Xcode window, click Create a new Xcode project or select File > New > Project. In the dialog that appears, select the iOS tab, then select App in the Application section.
- Fill in items or choose options for the new project, click Next after configuration is completed.
Product Name and Organization Identifier are required, which will be used for creating the App UID - Bundle Identifier.
- Choose a particular directory to restore the project to be created, and click Create to create a project.
2.2 Import the SDK
Choose either of the following methods to integrate the ZEGO Express SDK into your project.
Method 1: Integrate the SDK automatically with CocoaPods
Install CocoaPods. For more details, see CocoaPods Installation Guide .
Open the Terminal, enter the root directory of the project, and execute the command
pod initto create a
pod 'ZegoExpressEngine/Video', and change
MyProjectto your target name.
- Because the SDK is XCFramwork, therefore, you will need to use CocoaPods 1.10.0 or later to integrate the Zego Express SDK.
- We no longer provide SDKs for different languages since version 1.11.0. If you currently use
pod 'ZegoExpressEngine/Video_zh, change it to
pod 'ZegoExpressEngine/Video'when you upgrade to the new version.
target 'MyProject' do use_frameworks! pod 'ZegoExpressEngine/Video' end
pod repo updateto update the local index to make sure the latest version of SDK can be installed. For the latest version number, see ZEGO Express-Video iOS SDK Release History .
pod installto install the SDK.
For common problems you may encounter when using CocoaPods, see CocoaPods FAQ .
Method 2: Manually add the SDK to the project
- Download the latest version of SDK from SDK downloads . We recommend you use XCFramework, and then extract files from the downloaded SDK package.
Copy the SDK dynamic library file
ZegoExpressEngine.frameworkto the project directory.
Open Xcode and select File > Add Files to "xxx" (xxx is the project name) to add the SDK dynamic library files to the project.
Do the following to add the framework file to the project target.
a) Select the project target.
b) Click General, then under Frameworks, Libraries, and Embedded Content, click the Add button (+) below the table.
c) Add ZegoExpressEngine.framework to the target, and set the Embed field to Embed & Sign.
3 Add permissions
Permissions can be set as needed.
- Open Xcode, select the target object, and then click Info > Custom iOS Target Properties.
- Click the Add button (+) to add camera and microphone permissions.
Privacy-Camera Usage Description
Privacy-Microphone Usage Description
The error occurs when packaging the app: Failed to verify bitcode in ZegoExpressEngine.framework/ZegoExpressEngine.
a. Check whether the Xcode version is too low. We recommend updating the latest Xcode version.
b. If you have to use the old version of Xcode for packaging, find the Enable Bitcode option in the project's Build Setting and set it to NO, and open the
cd DIRECTORYto go to the directory where ZegoExpressEngine.framework is stored in your project, and then execute the following command to remove the bitcode in the SDK：
xcrun bitcode_strip ZegoExpressEngine.framework/ZegoExpressEngine -r -o ZegoExpressEngine.framework/ZegoExpressEngine